Last 3 Edits
Dec 10th, 2015. Added Patron from ENWorld database.
Dec 9th, 2015. Reworded stuff - marked brown
Dec 8th, 2015. Added Invocations & Patrons from EN5ider article.
Weapon Groups: Warlocks gain proficiency in Simple weapons from their chosen groups. Choose any 4 from: Axes & Picks; Blowguns; Bows; Brawling; Clubs & Staffs; Crossbows; Flails; Hammers & Maces; Hooks & Sickles; Natural Weapons; Short Blades (+ scimitar); Spears; Thrown & Slings; Whips, Nets & Chains.
Tools, Items, Vehicles, etc: None
Saving Throws: Wisdom, Charisma
Skills: Choose 2 from Arcane, Deception, History, Intimidation, Investigation, Nature, and Religion.
Here is a list of the available pact boons:
- Pact of the Blade (PHB p107)
- Pact of the Chain (PHB p107)
- Pact of the Evil Eye (Heroes of the Night EN5ider article, Brandes Stoddard)
- Pact of the Tome (PHB p108)
These are in addition to those in the PHB p110.
- Heroes of the Night EN5ider article, Brandes Stoddard.
- Friends Close, Enemies Closer EN5ider article, Josh Gentry.
SUBCLASSES (Otherworldly Patrons)
- The Archfey. (PHB p108).
- The Black Morwen. Hag patrons. (ENWorld database, Khaalis).
- The Fiend. (PHB p109).
- Genie-Kind. (House, see below).
- The Great Old One. (PHB p109).
- The See Lord. (Friends Close, Enemies Closer EN5ider article, Josh Gentry.)
- The Seducer. (Friends Close, Enemies Closer EN5ider article, Josh Gentry.)
- The Trickster. (Friends Close, Enemies Closer EN5ider article, Josh Gentry.)
- The Undying. (Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide p139, Wizards of the Coast.)
You have formed a pact with a powerful noble genie. Alternatively, you bargain with genie kind in general.
Those with the Pact of the Chain who take a geniekind patron are typically known as sha'ir and they can choose a gen as their familiar. (Use appropriate mephit stats). Whenever a sha'ir takes a rest to regain their spell slots, their gen plane shifts to the elemental home of the genies to bargain for the spells. (There is no roll required for normal spell slots, but later on, the gen can bargain for other spells).
EXPANDED SPELL LIST
You choose from an expanded list of spells when you learn a warlock spell. Choose 2 of the following spells at each level indicated to add to the warlock spell list for you. (You should choose spells that reflect the element of the genie you deal with).GENIE EXPANDED SPELLS
|Spell Level||Air Spells||Earth Spells||Fire Spells||Water Spells|
|1st||catapult (EEPG), featherfall||earth tremor (EEPG), pounding stone (as arms of hadar but arms are earthen and deal bludgeoning damage)||burning hands, chromatic orb (fire only)||create or destroy water, fog cloud|
|2nd||dust devil (EEPG), warding wind (EEPG)||earthbind (EEPG), Maximillian's earthen grasp (EEPG)||flaming sphere, pyrotechnics (EEPG)||alter self (aquatic adaptation option only), encircling waters (House, Spells Page)|
|3rd||stinking cloud, wind wall||erupting earth (EEPG), meld into stone||elemental weapon (fire only), fireball||water breathing, water walk|
|4th||conjure minor elementals (air only), storm sphere (EEPG)||conjure minor elementals (earth only), stoneskin||conjure minor elementals (fire only), fire shield||conjure minor elementals (water only), control water|
|5th||conjure elemental (air only), control winds (EEPC)||conjure elemental (earth only), transmute rock (EEPG)||conjure elemental (fire only), immolation (EEPG)||conjure elemental (water only), maelstrom (EEPG)|
- Spells marked (EEPG) are from the Elemental Evil Player's Guide, free from Wizards of the Coast.
Starting at 1st level you gain bonuses against one elemental type. Choose from air, earth, fire or water. You gain resistance against attacks made by elementals of this type and to spells or other forces that that are based upon this element and deal damage. Furthermore, you gain advantage on all saves made to resist powers used by elemental creatures of your chosen element and against spells that consist of it.
You typically select the element associated with your patron (and gen), but you can change the element type following a long rest. At 6th level you gain the advantages against two chosen elements following a long rest.
SPEAK WITH ELEMENTALS
Also at 1st level, you gain Primordial and one of : Aquan, Auran, Ignan or Terran as bonus languages.
You gain this feature at 6th level. You only gain one of the following three features, dependent upon which type of pact boon you have chosen.
Spell Retrieval - Pact of the Chain
At 6th level you can send your gen (familiar) to the elemental planes to bargain for spells for you to cast. As a bonus action your gen plane shifts to bargain on your behalf. The spell to be acquired must be of a level you can cast, but can be from any list (see below for modifiers). You can only have one spell added to your known spells in this manner at a time.
You make a Persuasion roll with a DC of 15. If you succeed, the gen returns at the start of your next turn and imparts the spell onto you. You add this spell to your Spells Known until you take a long rest (at which point it is removed from your list).
A failure on the Persuasion roll means the gen continues to bargain and you continue to make Persuasion rolls as a free action each round.
If you fail 3 Persuasion rolls, the gen fails to acquire the spell, is delayed and does not return until after you take a short rest. If you roll a 1 on any of the Persuasion rolls, your gen does not acquire the spell and is delayed until you take a long rest.
Persuasion rolls are modified as follows:
- You gain advantage if the spell to be acquired has effects relating to any element for which you are currently aligned with your resist elements feature.
- No modifiers for spells relating to the other elements, or if they are on the Sorcerer, Warlock or Wizard Spell Lists.
- You take disadvantage for checks to gain all other spells.
Elemental Weapon - Pact of the Blade
At 6th level, you can cast elemental weapon targeting your Pact Weapon as a bonus action. Like all warlock spells, this spell is cast at your highest spell slot level available. There is no limit to the number of times you can use this spell, but remember it is a concentration spell.
Spell Formulation - Pact of the Tome
At 6th level you can attempt to temporarily form a spell from the arcane writings in your tome. This works the same as spell retrieval above with the following changes.
- You must spend an initial action and have your tome in hand and be able to read it. (This replaces the bonus action to send a gen).
- The check is an Arcana roll (not Persuasion).
- You can never acquire spells that do not relate to the elements or are not on the Sorcerer, Warlock or Wizard spell lists. (So, tome warlocks cannot gather typical healing spells and those specific to the divine classes).
- You only make one check. On a failure, you do not formulate the spell.
- Whether successful of not, you cannot use this feature again until you take a short or long rest.
GREATER RESIST ELEMENTS
Starting at 10th level, your element resistance applies to all four elements.
Starting at 14th level you can use planar ally to summon a genie (dao, djinn, efreet or marid). You must bargain with the genie as normal and are bound to all the restrictions of the spell.
Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest. You cannot have more than one genie ally at a time though.