This is an off-shoot of our 7Songs lists as started on Twitter at @7SongsCup. The intention of this is to generate best rock album lists for each year. A Series consists of 7 year-lists and within each series, the years selected will be spaced 7 years apart.
Punters (that is you people) are to send in up to 7 of your favourite albums for that year. (See Disclaimer below before submitting). I will list albums in a linked forum and then we will run some of top albums off against each other in an Album Cup (like we do at end of Season on 7Songs). However, the albums Cup runs will have 10 more runners!
@7Songs started as @AltMusicBrownlow. It was set up as an alternative to @MusicBrownlow where the 'big bands', stars and pop artists are being covered. 7Songs is more focused on rock-based bands, mostly of the heavier and/or alternative variety. That continues here with 7Albums. Though I will be stricter on the choice of bands for 7Songs Seasons, try to stick to our niche here too. (I am not deploring other styles, it is just that they have their places and time in the lime-light.) When submitting your lists, think LOUD, not mellow)… and…
*First priority is that they are guitar-based!
*Most bands will be punk, alternative, indie (as in what was called 'Independent Music in 90s & earlier), metal, hard rock, rock, ska, and all of their related genres. The odd upbeat folky band might make it too (not slow country-indie-singer-songwriter-basically pop stuff; we want Celtic-folk-punk stuff).
*Avoid straight pop artists, country, blues, hip hop, rap, dance, electronica, soul, jazz, classical, R&B, indie-pop, ambient, all slow, 'indie' that remains really lo-fi and continually goes, "Dnn, Dnn, Dnn, Dnn." etc.
*Albums should be original music by the artist. Typically studio LPs (though EPs fine too). No compilations (unless it is new and rare material); no best ofs; no live albums (unless it is actually a new album of new material recorded live); no mixed artists inc soundtracks, various artists, tribute albums, etc; no cover albums, no singles, no re-releases/remastered/redux etc. I hope that covers it. ;)
These are all just priorities. There may be exceptions, and of course there WILL be arguments regarding genre and whether or not a band is alternative or heavy enough… I know ;). We can play out the exceptions on the Twitter, (like we did with Beastie Boys and The Prodigy - both accepted BTW ;)). Happy punting and I hope you get into the spirit of creating lists with us :)
- Each round is a separate YEAR. The years are preselected for a series.
- People are to list UP TO 7 of their favourite albums for that year.
- Each mention counts as 1 vote; there is no order at rounds stage.
- Rounds typically last around 48 hours. This gives people a chance to 'check out' albums and actually find some from that year. (One of main purposes of doing this is for me, and hopefully others, to explore new music :))
- At end of each round a leader board will be posted showing all albums that received MORE than 1 vote. (1 voters will be in a separate table on forums, but will play no further part).
- Each series will consist of 7 rounds of 7 different years, each separated by 7 years. ;)
- After 7 rounds, there will be mention of a Biggest Collection Award. This is the year that had the most albums of more than 1 vote in their list. (This award takes no notice of individual votes for each album; just how many albums made the list). Then an Album Cup Field will be put together.
Album Cup Field
Note: This operates exactly like the 7Songs format, only we have doubled some entries, so it will be a larger field, which I only think is fair for an album cup ;)).
- At end of Series a field of 24 songs will 'run the final'.
- The field will be made up of:
- All the top 2 albums from each round. If there is a tie, the song listed 1st will get through (as it reached the lead 1st). Total albums: 14.
- Biggest Collection entry: The year that wins the Biggest Collection Award will automatically have its 3rd album qualify. Total albums: 15.
- 2nd Biggest Collection entry: The year with the 2nd largest "collection" will automatically have its 3rd album qualify also. Total albums: 16.
- Wild Card Entry: 2 random contributors from Twitter throughout the Series will get to choose an album from ANY HAVE POLLED MORE THAN 1 VOTE throughout the series. I will announce this at the end of the rounds. If I/we don't hear back from that person with 24 hours, I will try another. If again I don't hear back, this wild card entry will be dropped. Move to next stage. Total albums: 18.
- The rest of the field (6 albums) will be chosen from the next highest ranking albums from across all rounds. If a tie - 1st choice to year with the biggest collection, then next biggest and so on. (This shares the selection around - not all from Biggest Collection if on = votes). If still a tie I will determine randomly from the contenders. (I own lots of dice). Total songs: 24. (10 more than songs Cups).
Album Cup Punting
- Once the field of 24 is finalised, voters then have to pick their First 4 (just like in punting).
- Your First 4 IS IN ORDER.
- These will be used as points to determine the cup winner. Points are basically reverse order. So 1st pick = 4 points; 2nd = 3; 3rd = 2; 4th =1.
- Winner is the album with most points.
Race Terms for Album Cup
Difference between Winner & Field (in votes):
0 - Photo finish (goes to the song that was on top first - ie once a song is on top, something has to get passed it).
1 - By a nose/half-head
2 - Head
3 - 1/2 length
4 - 1 length
5-18 - # of lengths (-3)
19-25 Length of straight
26-40 Not even in straight
41+ Broke down
(0 votes = Put down)
7 Albums Records
Top 7 List of Most Albums Nominated
These are the top 'Biggest Collections' (albums with more than 1 vote) by year:
|No of Albums||Year (Series)|
Top 7 Most Votes for Individual Album.
This is from year rounds. (Not the Cup).
|Votes||Band/Artist & Album (Year)|
|12||ACDC - Back In Black (1980)|
|11||Guns 'N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (11); Soundgarden - Superunknown (1994)|
|10||Pearl Jam - Vitalogy (1994)|
|9||Led Zeppelin - House of the Holy (1973); Green Day - Dookie (1994); The Strokes - Is This Is? (2001)|
Series 1 By Year
|Year||Album Collection (w 2+ Votes)||Top Album (Votes)||2nd Album (Votes)|
|2015||14||Clutch - Psychic Warfare (4)||Faith No More - Sol Invictus (4)|
|2008||20||Metallica - Death Magnetic (4)||Rise Against - Appeal To Reason (3)|
|2001||27||The Strokes - Is This It? (9)||The White Stripes - White Blood Cells (8)|
|1994||32||Soundgarden - Superunknown (11)||Pearl Jam - Vitalogy (10)|
|1987||20||Guns 'N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction (11)||Def Leppard - Hysteria (5)|
|1980||22||ACDC - Back In Black (12)||Iron Maiden - ST (6)|
|1973||17||Led Zeppelin - House of the Holy (9)||Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (8)|
Series 1 Cup
|Band & Album||Why it is here.||Run (Votes)||Position, distance from winner|
|Guns 'N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction||Won 1987.||Pretty much led from start to finish. Tired a little, but still flogged most of field. (32)||1st, 2 lengths.|
|Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon||R-Up 1973.||Started well, fell to midfield and then stormed home to almost catch Appetite. Beat 3 more fancied runners. (27)||2nd, 2 lengths.|
|ACDC - Back In Black||Won 1980.||The favourite ran a very cool race. Was not going to win and was in and out of placings a few times. Got job done in the end. (22)||3rd, 7 lengths.|
|Pearl Jam - Vitalogy||R-Up 1994.||Started slow, sat 2nd for a lot of middle of race, overtaken by fast finishing DSotM and steady BiB. (17)||4th, 12 lengths.|
|Led Zeppelin - House of the Holy||Won 1973.||2nd '73 runner in top 5. Another that started well and finished well. (16)||5th, 13 lengths.|
|Soundgarden - Superunknown||Won 1994.||Yet another that started strong, dropped right back and then recovered at end. Slightly down from starting posi. (15)||6th, 14 lengths.|
|Iggy & the Stooges - Raw Power||In for high votes 1973.||And another. Faded through middle part of race, but gained a couple of posi's late. Only 3 lengths of 4th, making 3 '73 runners in top 7. (14)||7th, 15 lengths.|
|Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Let Love In||In for high votes 1994.||This one surged early too. Was in the placings mid race. Still a good finish along with rest of strong '94 stable. (13)||8th, length of straight.|
|Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral||In for high votes 1994.||Never really in it, but a solid finish. Beat several more fancied runners. (9)||9th, length of straight.|
|The White Stripes - White Blood Cells||R-Up 2001.||Fair finish midfield. Lingered near the rear, but finished strong. (9)||10th, length of straight.|
|Green Day - Dookie||1994 Biggest Collection bonus.||A late run saved it from very embarrassing performance - still beaten by 4 stable mates (when it was 3rd of the stable). (8)||11th, length of straight.|
|System of a Down - Toxicity||2001 2nd Biggest Collection bonus.||Ran well. Never going to win, but may have beat expectations, being the 3rd '01 runner. (7)||12th, length of straight.|
|Def Leppard - Hysteria||R-Up 1987.||Another than jumped out full of energy but could not keep up with strong field. (7)||13th, length of straight.|
|Therapy? - Troublegum||Wild Card chosen by punter.||Never really had a chance, but surged towards end to pass more fancied rivals. Solid run for WC, but outclassed. (6)||14th, not even in straight.|
|The Strokes - Is This It?||Won 2001.||Very disappointing run. Even beaten by both stable mates in the race. (5)||15th, not even in straight.|
|Iron Maiden - ST||R-Up 1980.||Battled early, but never in it. (4)||16th, not even in straight.|
|The Offspring - Smash||In for high votes 1994.||Certainly did not smash this race. At rear of field all run. (3)||17th, not even in straight.|
|Clutch - Psychic Warfare||Won 2015.||The 2015 stable was completely out of its depth in this race. This was their best runner and never in it. This stable might need time to mature. (3)||18th, not even in straight.|
|Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies||In for high votes 1973.||Probably suffered from the '73 field having several runners, as punters tried to share votes around. (2)||19th, not even in straight.|
|Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath||In for high votes 1973.||Another to suffer from having sev '73 runners. Not the bands strongest, and we are certain they will have more runners in future cups. (1)||20th, not even in straight.|
|Metallica - Death Magnetic||Won 2008.||Not sure the 2008 truck with runners even showed. (0)||NA|
|Faith No More - Sol Invictus||R-Up 2015.||Surprising result. Scratched at the barriers. Surely we will see some siblings of this one in the future. (0)||NA|
|Rise Against - Appeal To Reason||R-Up 2008.||Did not show. No punk punters showing support for recent music continues. (0)||NA|
|Slipknot - Iowa||2001 Wild Card chosen by punter.||The dummy horse thrown to the wolves. Knew it wouldn't perform and sat on its haunches at the start. Stewards looking into this one. (0)|
Series 2 By Year(Given success of Series 1, looks like we'll do some more. So will switch b/w series of this and series of 7Songs. So this will not be for some time - after Series 2 7Songs.)
|Year||Album Collection (w 2+ Votes)||Top Album (Votes)||2nd Album (Votes)|
|2014||2+||Band - Album (votes)||Band - Album (votes)|