This started as @AltMusicBrownlow. It was set up as an alternative to @MusicBrownlow where the 'big bands', stars and pop artists are being covered. This comp will be more focused on rock-based bands, mostly of the heavier and/or alternative variety. (Of course there will be bands that have charted, and there WILL be arguments regarding genre and whether or not a band is alternative or heavy enough… I know ;)).
Even when bands come up from the Library (or if a punter gets to choose) there are a few things to consider before they get a run:
* First priority is that they are guitar-based!
* Most bands will be punk, alternative, indie (as in what was called 'Independent Music in 90s & earlier), metal, hard rock, rock, ska, and all of their related genres. If you get the chance to select a band for our comp, please keep this in mind.
* Bands must have a body of work to draw upon - usually at least 2 LPs (but again there will be exceptions for bands that have had a big influence with lesser releases, ala The Sex Pistols.
Scroll to the bottom of this page to see all the bands we have done so far to get an idea of what we are about :)
See below for HOW groups/artists are chosen for our Rounds.
- Each round is a separate artist/band. Think of these as a 'stable' of songs. Each race is a 'Stable Stakes' to see which songs will represent the stable in the Cup.
- Artists/bands are selected randomly from my GooglePlay Library. (There are over 1,100 artists. Most of these are rock-based, plenty of punk, some metal, etc. Most (not all) of a more alternative nature. People are free to request bands. They will be added to the Library for an equal chance to come up randomly).
- Exception to this is FIRST band of a Season, which will be chosen by the 'Best Punter' from previous Round's Cup. For ideas on types of bands we will be covering, see the list of bands done so far at bottom of this page.
- Also, introducing a Wild Card pick too. A random punter that has contributed that season will get to choose the LAST band of the season.
- If time, I will run a short quiz before announcing each band. Punter that guesses 1st has their first vote count as 2 votes OR they can add an extra song to their list :)
- People are to list UP TO 7 of their favourite songs for the band.
- Each mention counts as 1 vote; there is no order at rounds stage.
- Rounds typically last around 48 hours. This gives people a chance to 'check out' an artist. (One of main purposes of doing this is for me, and hopefully others, to explore new music :))
- To kickstart the voting, I will post top 7 songs from Google Search. If there are any such lists on music/music mag sites, I will include those too. (This especially helps lesser-known bands get going and provides early songs for people to check out :)).
- At end of each round a leader board will be posted showing all songs mentioned for that artist
- Each season will consist of 7 rounds.
- After 7 rounds, there will be mention of a Biggest Stable Award. This is the band that had the most songs in their list. (This award takes no notice of individual votes for each song; just how many songs made the list). Then a Cup Field will be put together.
Cup Final Field
- At end of Season a field of 14 songs will 'run the final'.
- The field will be made up of:
- All the top songs from each round. (ie each artists top song WILL be in final). If there is a tie, the song listed 1st will get through (as it reached the lead 1st). Total songs: 7.
- Biggest Stable entries: The top 3 bands in the Biggest Stable Award will automatically have their 2nd songs qualify. Total songs: 10.
- 3 songs will be chosen from the next highest ranking songs from across all Rounds. If a tie - 1st choice to band with the biggest stable, then next biggest and so on. (This shares the selection around - not all from Biggest Stable if on = votes). If still a tie I will determine randomly from the contenders. (I own lots of dice). Total songs: 13.
- Wild Card Entry: A random contributor from Twitter throughout the Season will get to choose a song from ANY that have polled so far. I will announce this at the end of the rounds. If I/we don't hear back from that person with a couple of hours, I will continue to add names to the Tweet until 1 of them gets back to me. First in gets the Wild Card. Total songs: 14.
(So yes, this system does reward a large collection of songs as well as high rating individual songs).
- Once the field of 14 is finalised, voters then have to pick their First 4 (just like in punting).
- Your First 4 IS IN ORDER.
- These will be used as points to determine the cup winner. Points are basically reverse order. So 1st pick = 4 points; 2nd = 3; 3rd = 2; 4th =1.
- Winner is the song with most points.
- Run final over 1 night/24 hours rather than 48. Most know the songs, maintains momentum, and most votes came very early in the 1st one.
- Best Punter gets to select 1st band for next Season. :)
Race Terms for Cup
Difference between Winner & Field (in votes):
0 - Photo finish (goes to the song that was on top first - ie once a song is on top, something has to get passed it).
1 - By a nose/half-head
2 - Head
3 - 1/2 length
4 - 1 length
5-18 - # of lengths (-3)
19-25 Length of straight
26-40 Not even in straight
41-50 Not in sight
51+ Broke down
(0 votes = Put down)
7 Songs Records
Top 7 List of Most Songs Nominated
These are the top 'Biggest Stables' of all time:
|No of Songs||Band/Artists (Season)|
|51||You Am I (S9); Led Zeppelin (S14)|
|48||Pearl Jam (S2), Green Day (S3)|
|47||The Smashing Pumpkins(S6)|
Top 7 Most Votes for Individual Song.
This is from the Stable Stakes' Rounds. (Not the Cup Finals).
|Votes||Song & Band/Artists (Season)|
|27||Welcome to the Jungle - Guns N' Roses (S12)|
|26||Berlin Chair - You Am I (S9); Kashmir - Led Zeppelin (S14)|
|25||Voodoo Child/Chile (Sweet Return) - Jimi Hendrix (S10)|
|24||Purple Sneakers - You Am I (S9)|
|23||Paradise City - Guns N' Roses (S12)|
|21||Buy Me A Pony - Spiderbait (S1); Cathy's Clown - You Am I (S9); Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix (S10); Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses (S12); Forty-Six & 2 - Tool (S13); Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin (S14)|
Top 7 Stables/Bands with Songs receiving 10+ votes.
|No of Songs w 10+||Band/Artists (Season)|
|10||Guns N' Roses (S12)|
|8||The Smashing Pumpkins (S6); Jimi Hendrix (S10); Grinspoon (S10)|
|7||The Mark of Cain (S8); Tool (S13); Led Zeppelin (S14)|
Top 7 Cup Improvers
These are runners from actual Cups that improved their pre-race ranking in the actual Cups.
|Spots Up||Song & Band/Artists (Season)|
|+8||Kick Out the Jams - MC5 (S4); Raining Blood - Slayer (S7)|
|+7||Holy Wars… Punishment Due - Megadeth (S9)|
|+6||Electric Worry - Clutch (S1); Longview - Green Day (S3 Winner); Not the Same - Bodyjar (S3); Wish - Nine Inch Nails (S3); The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden (S8); Refuse/Resist - Sepultura (S11); Tupelo - Nick Cave (S11, WC); Good Mourning, America - letlive. (S11); Ace of Spades - Motorhead (S14)|
Top 7 Cup Sliders
These are runners from actual Cups that slid down the order from their pre-race ranking.
|Spots Down||Song & Band/Artists (Season)|
|-11||Shazam - Spiderbait (S1)|
|-8||Brain Stew - Green Day (S3); Losing My Religion - R.E.M (S5 Fav); Unsung - Helmet (S14)|
|-7||Good Mornin' - You Am I (S9); Chick Magnet - MxPx (S11); Ghost of Perdition - Opeth (S11); Schism - Tool (S13)|
Series 1 Season Forums
Check these out for ALL results, YouTube Playlists of Cup Finals, etc.
Series 1 Cup Results
S1: Buy Me A Pony - Spiderbait, 7 lengths to Love Rears Its Ugly Head - Living Colour. 3rd Baba O'Rielly - The Who 12 lengths off leader.
S2: Rearview Mirror - Pearl Jam, 4 lengths to War Pigs - Black Sabbath. 3rd Black - Pearl Jam 5 lengths off leader.
S3: Longview - Green Day, 2 lengths to Closer - Nine Inch Nails. 3rd No Rain - Blind Melon 5 lengths off leader.
S4: Jesus Christ Pose - Soundgarden, by a head to Kick Out the Jams - MC5. 3rd Smash It Up - The Damned 5 lengths off leader.
S5: Kickstart My Heart - Motley Crue, by 5 lengths to Orange Crush - R.E.M. 3rd Dr Feelgood - Motley Crue 15 lengths off leader.
S6: Bullet with Butterfly Wings - The Smashing Pumpkins, by length of straight to Cherub Rock - The Smashing Pumpkins. 3rd Disarm - The Smashing Pumpkins length of straight off leader. TRIFECTA
S7: Seether - Veruca Salt, 6 lengths to She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult. 3rd Raining Blood - Slayer length of straight off leader.
Series 1 Champion of Champions
|Song & Band/Artist||Why it is here.||Run (Votes)||Position (distance from winner)|
|War Pigs - Black Sabbath||R-Up S2 (4 lengths bhnd)||What a run. Started 10th in line and even beat other S2 Cup winner, RVM (that also had the lead for some time). (34)||1st by 1 length.|
|Bullet with Butterfly Wings - The Smashing Pumpkins||Won S6 Cup (by length of straight)||A late surge saw the Bullet just fall 1 length short at the end. Finished fantastically. (30)||2nd by 1 length.|
|Rearview Mirror - Pearl Jam||Won S2 Cup (by 4 lengths)||Led for some time. Fight with WarPigs tired it and it was passed by The Bullet down the straight. Shows what a quality line-up Season 2 was. Both in Top 3 of CoC1. (27)||3rd. 4 lengths.|
|Jesus Christ Pose - Soundgarden||Won S4 Cup (by a head)||Jumped early, got bustled around and settled at the back for lot of race. Just over 1/2 way gained a momentum and finished strong. (21)||4th. 10 lengths|
|Orange Crush - R.E.M||R-Up S5 (5 lengths bhnd)||Spent a long time and several stints at the rear, only to surge late and end up leading the 'big pack' that ran together in this race. A solid finish considering it started 11th fav & got revenge on Kickstart who beat it in the S5Cup. (16)||5th. 15 lengths|
|Buy Me A Pony - Spiderbait||Won S1 Cup (by 7 lengths)||Strange race. Started slow, had several surges, but could not break away from this big pack. (15)||6th. Length of straight.|
|Closer - Nine Inch Nails||R-Up S3 (by 2 lengths)||Very slow starter, but then caught the pack and stuck with it, moving towards front of it late in race. Finished about where expected or up a couple spots. (14)||7th. Length of straight.|
|Love Rears Its Ugly Head - Living Colour||R-Up S1 (7 lengths bhnd)||Only 1 length behind the Pony that beat it by 7 lengths in the S1 Cup. Another one that surged at various times but could break from pack. (14)||8th. Length of straight.|
|Seether - Veruca Salt||Won S7 Cup (by 6 lengths)||Big fall from runner that won S7 by 6 lengths. Beat Sanctuary from that same race by only 2 here. (13)||9th. Length of straight.|
|Kick Out the Jams - MC5||R-Up S4 (by a head)||Started as best of the R-Ups in the race & was doing well mid race before tiring and falling to rear of pack. (12)||10th. Length of straight.|
|Longview - Green Day||Won S3 Cup (by 2 lengths)||Beat Closer by 2 lengths in S3Cup, but Closer returned the favour here. Started well but was overrun. (12)||11th. Length of straight.|
|She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult||R-Up S7 (by 6 lengths)||Finished about where it started. Also had its moments. At least it gained ground on Seether that beat it by 6 lengths in S7Cup. (11)||12th. Length of straight.|
|Kickstart My Heart - Motley Crue||Won S5 Cup (by 5 lengths)||On cup run started 4th favourite. OrangeCrush from same Cup run beat it by 5 lengths. Another that started well but could not kick on. (11)||13th. Length of straight.|
|Cherub Rock - The Smashing Pumpkins||R-Up S6 (length of straight bhnd)||Took far too long to get into race. Spent a lot of energy getting going, but did well to catch the pack and finish alongside other runners, especially when it was part of only stable with 2 runners in the race. (11)||14th. Length of straight.|
Series 2 Season Forums
Series 2 Cup Results
S8: Point Man - The Mark of Cain, 3 lengths to Interloper - The Mark of Cain. 3rd The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden 13 lengths off leader. QUINELLA
S9: Berlin Chair - You Am I, 18 lengths to Holy Wars… Punishment Due - Megadeth. 3rd Just What I Needed - The Cars not even in straight off leader.
S10: Voodoo Child/Chile (Slight Return) - Jimi Hendrix, 3 lengths to All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix. 3rd Breathe - The Prodigy 4 lengths off leader. QUINELLA
S11: Red Right Hand - Nick Cave, 10 lengths to The Mercy Seat - Nick Cave. 3rd Refuse/Resist - Sepultura not in straight off leader. QUINELLA
S12: Welcome to the Jungle - Guns 'N' Roses, 11 lengths to Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns 'N' Roses. 3rd School's Out - Alice Cooper length of straight off leader. QUINELLA
S13: Stinkfist - Tool, by a nose to Forty-Six & 2 - Tool. 3rd Sober - Tool 6 lengths off leader. TRIFECTA (In fact, Tool had a FIRST FOUR here!)
S14: Kashmir - Led Zeppelin, by 9 lengths to Greg!The Stop Sign - TISM. 3rd Ace of Spades - Motorhead 10 lengths off leader.
Series 2 Champion of Champions
|Song & Band/Artist||Why it is here.||Run (Votes)||Position (distance from winner)|
|Berlin Chair - You Am I||Won S9Cup (by 18 lengths)||Timed run well. Built up through race and stormed home late putting a fair gap b/w the 2 front runners and rest of pack. Was the fav going in and performed admirably. (43)||1st by 3 lengths.|
|Kashmir - Led Zeppelin||Won S14Cup (by 9 lengths)||Led for most of the run. Almost held on. A strong fav that held position. (37)||2nd by 3 lengths.|
|Forty-Six & 2 - Tool||R-Up S13Cup (by a nose)||Started well, settled back mid run then finished strong, though well off leaders in the end. A good run for a Cup R-Up. Beat stablemate that won S13Cup & sev winners. (27)||3rd. 13 lengths off winner.|
|Voodoo Child/Chile (Slight Return) - Jimi Hendrix||Won S10Cup (by 3 lengths)||Sat 2nd for 3/4 of the race but faded late. (26)||4th. 14 lengths off winner.|
|Red Right Hand - Nick Cave||Won S11Cup (by 10 lengths)||Started slow, built up momentum, but not enough to challenge leaders. Was 3rd fav going in, so a little disappointing. (24)||5th. Length of strt.|
|Stinkfist - Tool||Won S13Cup (by a nose)||Started strong and rallied again entering the home straight but was overrun down the straight. Both runners from S13 (& Tool stable) in the first 6 is a respectable finish. (23)||6th. Length of strt.|
|All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix||R-Up S10Cup (by 3 lengths)||Started far too slowly to ever challenge but did round up quite a few runners late in the race to finish slightly above expected. (22)||7th. Length of strt.|
|Welcome to the Jungle - Guns 'N' Roses||Won S12Cup (by 11 lengths)||Jumped from blocks full of enthusiasm, but not in contention for 2nd 1/2. A very disappointing result for the 2nd fav and I am sure the GnR stable are quite surprised with both runners in bottom half of field. (20)||8th. Length of strt.|
|The Mercy Seat - Nick Cave||R-Up S11Cup (by 10 lengths)||Spent most of race maneuvering in the midfield w stints at rear. Finished ahead of more fancied runners in the end. (19)||9th. Length of strt.|
|Sweet Child of Mine - Guns 'N' Roses||R-Up S12Cup (by 11 lengths)||Another to bolt from the barrier only to watch most of field round it up. Tough it improved its pre-race posi, still a disappointing end for the GnR crew. (17)||10th. Not in strt|
|Greg! The Stop Sign - TISM||R-Up S14Cup (by 9 lengths)||Started slow, pushed hard and was within reach of a place late in race before seemingly coming to a stop. Who'da thought? (16)||11th. Not in strt.|
|Holy Wars… Punishment Due - Megadeth||R-Up S9Cup (by 18 lengths)||Least fav runner here leapt from barrier to prove punters wrong, but exhausted itself early and finished a long way from leaders. (13)||12th. Not in strt.|
|Point Man - The Mark of Cain||Won S8Cup (by 3 lengths)||One of the favs going in this is a very disappointing run. Had its moments, but this is what happens when the owners turn up for the Stakes & Cup runs but not the CoC. Not enough support to finish near where pre-race lists indicated. (12)||13th. Not in strt.|
|Interloper - The Mark of Cain||R-Up S8Cup (by 3 lengths)||In a very disappointing finish for the MOC stable and therefore Season8 both runners completely outclassed here today. (11)||14th. Not in strt.|
Bands that have competed
28 Days S7
Alice Cooper S12
Alkaline Trio S3
At the Drive-In S4
Bad Religion S2
Billy Bragg S10
Billy Squier S12
Black Crowes S1
Black Flag S13
Black Sabbath S2
Blind Melon S3
Blues Traveler S11
Bowling For Soup S1
British India S8
Brody Dalle (in Distillers) S2
The Cars S9
The Copyrights S3
The Cult S7
The Damned S4
Died Pretty S10
Frenzal Rhomb S6
Green Day S3
Guns 'N' Roses S12
Husker Du S13
Iron Maiden S8
Jack White (inc Sabotuers) S1
Jimi Hendrix S10
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion S12
Killswitch Engage S5
L.A Guns S6
Led Zeppelin S14
Lenny Kravitz S6
Living Colour S1
Machine Head S12
Mad Caddies S1
The Mark of Cain S8
Motley Crue S5
Nashville Pussy S7
Nick Cave S11
Nine Inch Nails S3
Our Lady Peace S13
Ozzy Osbourne S13
Pearl Jam S2
Pop Will Eat Itself S6
The Pogues S8
The Prodigy S10
The Smashing Pumpkins S6
Something For Kate S9
Soul Asylum S7
Stone Temple Pilots S8
Sum 41 S9
The Sword S8
Teenage Bottlerocket S4
They Might Be Giants S7
Thin Lizzy S1
The Tragically Hip S2
Unwritten Law S4
The Vandals S11
Veruca Salt S7
The Who S1
You Am I S9